Wednesday, April 20, 2005

am i really done?

wow, i think for the first time in a long time i am relieved with a decision that i made concerning leaving something. it is the first time that i have not finished something all the way through, but you know what, it is ok.

i have decided to leave track and field while i am still attending valpo. i have had my share of good times and bad times, more often bad then good, but hey life is not always ideal. it was more a decision based on my role as a student-athlete. i am a student first and then an athlete and as much as my coach said that he really did not believe that.

planning my schooling around track and field is a hard thing for me because all of my courses are lab courses and are anywhere between 3-5 hours in some cases. naturally i will have times when i cannot make it to practice and that was always a cause for stress.

as i have gotten older the demands of my major have become greater and greater and this means that i have to devote more time to it than any other thing because that is the reason i am here.

track has always been something that i have loved and i am sure that i will keep on running well after i graduate, but for right now it is my job to concentrate on graduating, doing well in the MCAT, getting into medical school, and finding a job. only after i have my life in order i can play. that is something that my coach does not realize needs to happen for me to be happy.

he can always find another runner, but i cannot waste my time, and in a sense that is what i think that i am doing. it was fun (or not) while it lasted but i think that it is time for me to bow out and focus on things that are a little more important, like my future.

No comments: